Thursday 27 October 2011

Current Obsession

One of the things I love about working in radio is hearing new artists emerge. I love discovering someone new and spending hours on-line listening to all the different songs and versions, the first time you experience them live and the excitement as you get to hear their album for the first time. Lana Del Rey is my newest obsession, her single Video Games was recently added to the West FM playlist. I like to listen to all the new stuff before it goes on-air and when I heard this song I was instantly captivated.


The track is utterly haunting, her voice has a real Hollywood glamour to it with all the tragic connotations that go along with old school Hollywood. I love the grainy quality, the retro feel to the video and the juxtaposition of the fame hungry star and the old footage of photographers. I feared this may be one of those acts that gets the big push but cant back it up with anything but one great track. I was totally wrong. I came across more of her music and fell even deeper for her voice and style. I love the way in Blue Jeans she brings a much more current feel.



Both songs are available now as a double A side http://www.lanadelrey.com/

fee xxx



3 comments: